When you plan training sessions for your employees, you expect an increase in their skill set, more productivity, and greater retention rates. But how do you ensure that your training has met its objectives? Or will you get the maximum return on it?
By conducting surveys that involve asking training survey questions to employees regarding a particular training program. It is the best way to know about the success or failure of your training programs.
You can create a training survey using any modern survey maker tool. However, the effectiveness of your survey will depend on the questions you will include in it. Right survey questions will provide valuable insights into what your employees think about the training program. So, in this blog, we will discuss sample training survey questions for employees that you can use in your next survey.
What Is a Training Survey and Why Do You Need It?
A training survey is a feedback and evaluation method that helps you obtain employee perspectives about a training session, whether good or bad. It enables you to understand the employees’ viewpoint on a particular training program to make necessary changes to enhance the quality of the program.
Basically, employees are asked to fill out a questionnaire for the purpose of gathering qualitative and quantitative data. A questionnaire can contain closed-ended questions, open-ended questions, Likert scale questions, rating scale questions, or multiple-choice questions depending on what an organization wants to measure. This data is then analyzed to improve the framework and process of a training program.
A training survey helps you to:
- See things from an employee’s perspective
- Gather employee feedback by asking them training survey questions
- Outline training outcomes
- Evaluate training effectiveness
- Measure the training’s return on investment
- Determine employee satisfaction with the training program
- Make improvements in the training and plan efficiently for future courses
Also Read: What is a Training Management System?
Training Survey Questions
Conducting a training survey can help you gather valuable information from training participants. Training surveys ask participants to share their opinions, expectations, and experiences, and this information can be used to improve the quality and efficacy of your training.
Training questions can be asked before or after a training program or used to measure training effectiveness or satisfaction level. Let’s discuss sample training survey questions for different scenarios.
1. Pre-Training Survey Questions
Conducting a survey before the training is a method of collecting real-time information from the participants by asking them questions. It helps employers to shape the course as per the learner’s requirements. Asking pre-training survey questions assist you in getting a clear picture of what your participants are expecting from the training, what they want to learn, and how they want to learn.
The result from the pre-training survey will assess the effectiveness of the training program and assist you in making changes that will boost the satisfaction rate of the participants. Given below are some of the sample pre-training survey questions for employees that you can use in your next survey:
- Introduction Questions
These survey questions highlight the employee’s basic qualification abilities, background, needs, and preferences. It will assist you in understanding more about your participants and preparing the course accordingly. Here are some sample pre-training opening questions:
- Have you ever attended any training program with us before?
- Why have you registered for this training program?
- How would you rate your proficiency in this subject?
☐ Very proficient
☐ Somewhat proficient
☐ Slightly proficient
☐ Not at all proficient
- What is your preferred mode of training?
☐ Hybrid (Mix of both)
- What sessions are you most excited about?
- Do you have all the material you need to participate in the training?
- Do you have any special learning needs?
- Is there anything else you’d like to share with us?
- Employees Training Objective Questions
Before starting the course, ask training survey questions that focus on what your learners want to see. This way, you can better understand what content they want to see. These types of training questions can help you figure out how your course fits in with what people are looking for and give you the chance to modify your training if required.
- How motivated are you to participate in this course?
- What expectations did you have before enrolling for this course?
- What do you want to achieve with this training?
- Which topics are you especially looking forward to covering with training?
- What parts of this topic are most difficult for you?
- How do you think the training programs help you be a better professional?
- Are you sure the course will meet your learning goals?
- Have you had any previous training in this field before attending this course?
Also Read: What Is Employee Training?
- Pre-Course Preparation Questions
You can also ask training program survey questions related to course enrollment, preparation, and communication process. It is crucial to make sure that you make an excellent first impression and meet your onboarding goals. Here are some examples of pre-course evaluation questions that you can try:
- Do you agree with the statement “It was an easy procedure to enroll for this course”?
☐ Somewhat Agree
- Did you face any difficulties while joining this course?
- Are you satisfied with the pre-training process?
☐ Somewhat satisfied
- What improvements can be made in the pre-training process?
- Was the course description easy to understand?
- How will you rate the pre-training communication?
- Were the course objectives and key learnings clearly mentioned?
- What is your opinion about the course onboarding process?
2. Post-Training Survey Questions
A post-training survey is a transparent and constructive feedback method that helps in capturing the employee experience about the training program. It helps identify what your employees feel about the training in terms of its structure, delivery, learning modules and methods, environment, trainer attitude, and other various factors.
Post-Training surveys reveal highlights as well as issues of your training. Training feedback from respondents can help you evaluate the effectiveness of your course, make improvements, and plan for future training programs. Let’s discuss some post-training survey question examples, organized by category, that you can include in your next survey.
- Learner’s Experience
These sample post-training survey questions help you gain insights into respondents’ experience after completing their training. It helps in identifying whether the training program met the employee’s expectations.
- Overall, how will you rate this course?
- Did the training meet your expectations?
☐ To some extent
- Did the course cover the content you were expecting?
- Will you recommend this training program to others?
- What did you like the most about the training?
- Is there anything that you would like to change about this training?
- Would you opt for a course like this with us again?
- Training Course Content
It is crucial to ask respondents what they feel about your course material. It will give you ideas about the areas where you need to improve course content for future training programs. Given below are the sample post-training questions based on the training material.
- Was the course content language easy to understand?
- How engaging was the course content?
☐ Somewhat engaging
☐ Not engaging
- Rate the quality of training content.
- Was training relevant to your needs?
☐ To some extent
- Were there sufficient visual aids in each training presentation?
- Any content parts that you found missing?
- Did the training content meet your expectations?
- Trainer and Training delivery
Some courses have excellent training content but have a confusing structure or poor delivery. These sample training questionnaires might assist you in determining whether the delivery and structure of your training were problematic. At the same time, it is vital to measure the trainer’s general likeability and how engaging they are at delivering content to the employees.
Let’s discuss some of the survey questions to ask about training to evaluate training structure and delivery.
- Was the content clearly presented?
- Did the trainers have enough knowledge of the training content?
- Do you agree with the statement, “Trainers were enthusiastic about the training process?
- Are you satisfied with the quality of the instructor?
☐ Somewhat satisfied
- Did the course feel monotonous at some point or other?
- Did the training content have a clear structure?
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the overall course delivery?
- How easy was it to remain engaged throughout each part of training?
- Training Environment
These sample survey questions for training assess the respondent’s satisfaction level with the environment in which training takes place. For instance, it may include the mode of the training program, the number of people involved in the training, etc.
Given below are some examples of post-training survey questions for employees related to the training environment.
- Which mode of training program did you opt for?
- If you opted for online training mode, did you complete the training on a desktop, laptop, mobile, or tablet?
- Are you satisfied with the place where training took place?
- Do you agree with the statement, “There was enough seating space for all participants and trainers?
- What do you feel about the number of participants in a batch?
- Is there anything you want to improve about the training environment?
- Did you feel absentminded during the training process?
3. New Hire Training Survey Questions
Asking new employees what they think of their training program through surveys is an excellent way to evaluate the effectiveness of the training program designed for new hires. Creating surveys and sharing them with new employees will provide valuable insights to assess your training methods and techniques and improve the areas wherever necessary. After all, the experience is still fresh in their minds, and their success on a daily basis largely depends on the training program’s success.
Asking for new employees’ feedback will also serve as a way to track employee engagement. The more engaged employees are during their initial days, the more likely they remain engaged after that. Given below are some of the sample new hire training survey questions.
- Are you satisfied with the training you have received?
- Do you feel that the training is specific to your job duties and responsibilities?
- Have you encountered any issues in your training so far?
- Any particular areas that you wish have been covered in training?
- Is the training beneficial in understanding your job details?
- Are you satisfied with the structure of the training program?
- Do you feel you have all the knowledge you require to become a better professional?
- Do you agree with the statement, “The training I received was not too short or long; it was just perfect”
- Do you agree with the statement, “My training has helped me prepare well for my work?”
- What is the best thing you liked about your training?
- Which part of the training did you find most engaging?
- Did this training program make you feel more or less confident that you could do your job well?
- Did you have all the tools and resources necessary to complete the training?
- Has the training answered all your questions or concerns?
- Do you feel you require more training, or are you ready for the job?
- On a scale of 1-5, rate your overall training experience.
- Did the training fulfill your expectations?
- Is there anything unclear to you about your job duties?
- Is there anything else that you would like to share?
- How can we improve our training program?
Also Read: How to Onboard Remote Employees
4. Training Evaluation Survey Questions
The training evaluation survey questions are designed to evaluate the training program’s effectiveness by collecting employee feedback. It will help you analyze if the respondents are satisfied with the quality of the training, content structure, topics covered, trainer, environment, etc.
Below are the sample survey questions for training related to the effectiveness of training. You can always customize these questions as per your requirement.
- How will you rate this training program?
- Why did you join this training?
- The pace of instruction was:
☐ Just Right
☐ Can’t say
- Do you feel that the training sessions were too basic or advanced?
- How helpful was the course content?
- What do you think about the date, venue, and timings of the training?
- Do you agree that it was easy to register for the training?
- How well did the delivered content match what was promised to you at the time of registration?
- Rate the quality of the training.
- Did you learn anything new during the training?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend this training program to others?
- Did the training meet your expectations?
- Any additional feedback to improve the course?
- How satisfied are you with the following statements?
|Statements||Strongly Agree||Agree||Neutral||Disagree||Strongly Disagree|
|Objectives of the training were met.|
|Trainer was knowledgeable about the course content.|
|Trainer was prepared for the training.|
|Topics covered were relevant to me.|
|Content was simple to understand.|
|Knowledge gained during training will be useful in my work.|
|All material was provided for training.|
|There was a clear separation between modules.|
|Tone of the training was engaging.|
|There was a high degree of participation and engagement during training.|
|Proper time was given to ask questions.|
5. Training Satisfaction Survey Questions
Your training programs will bear no results if the respondents are not satisfied. Chances are also that they may not participate in your future training programs. The best way to evaluate the training satisfaction level is by sharing training satisfaction survey questions with employees. Below are sample questions that can be used to measure the training satisfaction survey.
- Please rate the training program on a scale of 1-5.
- Would you opt for this training again, if it is not compulsory?
- How likely are you to recommend this training to your peers?
- Were your training expectations fulfilled?
- Did you achieve your learning goals with this training?
- On a scale of 1-5, how successful was the course outcome compared to your expectations?
- What did you enjoy the most about this training?
- How will you rate the overall quality of the training?
- Was the training interactive?
☐ To some point
- What is your opinion on the value of this course?
- How will you rate the quality of course material?
- Did you learn any new skills that you could put to practice?
- Was the trainer able to answer all your questions and concerns?
- Do you have any suggestions that would improve this training?
- Was the training well-organized?
- Did the training cover everything that was laid out in the learning objectives?
- Are you satisfied with the training pace?
- Was training relevant to your needs?
- Was the training different from what you expected? How?
6. Training Effectiveness Survey Questions
Conducting good training requires a lot of time and effort so that something productive comes out of every session. However, it is crucial to measure training effectiveness to learn what participants love and where to make changes. Uncover your trainee’s wishes and requirements by sharing below sample survey questions for training effectiveness.
- How valuable did you find this training?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend this training to your colleagues?
- How relevant did you find this training to your current work?
- Rate your skill knowledge now after completion of the training:
☐ Not knowledgeable
☐ Somewhat knowledgeable
☐ Moderately knowledgeable
☐ Very knowledgeable
- Do you think the skills learned in this training will be useful in your work?
- How will you rate the degree of interactivity in this training?
- How can we improve this training program to make it more effective?
- Which part of the training was most helpful to you?
- How will you rate the training material and content?
- On a scale of 1-10, how will you rate the communication between you and your instructor?
- Did you collaborate with your team members during training?
- Has the training program helped you in achieving your individual objectives?
Obtain Valuable Employee Feedback With a Robust Training Survey
We hope the above-discussed sample survey questions for training evaluation are helpful for you in writing your questions. Conducting Training Survey is the best way to determine the effectiveness of training sessions. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to obtain the respondents’ feedback about a training program. A training survey is just as crucial as training, and this is why you must pay attention to the details and take extra care to get it right. With Proprofs Survey Maker, you can easily design a training survey to collect employee feedback.
Do you want a free Survey Software?
We have the #1 Online Survey Maker Software to get actionable user insights.